Big news at exiting time!
With the launch of Windows Server 2016, Microsoft just announced a new VMware migration offer.
From September 1, 2016, through June 30, 2017, you can switch workloads from VMware to Hyper-V and get free Windows Server Datacenter licenses when buying Windows Server Datacenter + Software Assurance. Yes, free Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition!
With Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition, you get the following:
- Unlimited numbers of Virtual Machines, Hyper-V and Windows Server Containers.
- Software-Defined Storage including Storage Spaces Direct and Storage Replica.
- Software-Defined Networking including SDN stack, network controller, VXLAN and NVGRE.
Software Assurance helps you with the following:
- Reduce software and services costs with rights to new software releases and cost-efficient upgrades.
- Use consulting services to plan new, on-premises and cloud-based deployments.
- Improve operational efficiency through access to unique technologies and licensing rights.
- Increase overall user productivity with instructor-led technical training and online end-user training.
- Maintain an available and responsive IT infrastructure with around-the-clock support.
To learn more about the advantages of Software Assurance, download the Software Assurance at a glance.
You can read about this big announcement here: Announcing the new VMware migration offer for Windows Server 2016.
Microsoft also released a new TCO calculator to compare VMware and Hyper-V, which you can find here: Microsoft vs. VMware TCO calculator.
There are a lot of great technical reasons to switch from VMware to Hyper-V. Check out my detailed blog post about What’s new in Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V to get an overview about the latest and greatest new features.
How to get Started
To be eligible for the VMware migration offer, you must follow these steps:
- Step 1: Engage your account executive or sales rep to begin the process.
- Step 2: Identify virtualized workloads to migrate and specify the Windows Server Datacenter cores required.
- Step 3: Provide your account executive proof of eligibility. (Offer applicable to customers migrating from VMware to Microsoft).
- Step 4: Engage your partner to start the migration process.
- Step 5: Receive free Windows Server Datacenter licenses with Software Assurance and pay only the cost of Software Assurance to kick start your migration.
Windows Server 2016 and System Center 206 will be launched at Microsoft Ignite late September 2016.