I just passed the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate 70-743 Exam: Upgrading Your Skills to Windows Server 2016 on the first attempt! So I figured I’d share my experience here.
I got something around 59 questions, and the total time is 150 minutes. The questions do pretty much match the list of skills measured below.
Skills measured on this exam
The skills measured on this exam are:
- Installing Windows Servers in host and compute environments including Nano Server and PowerShell DSC.
- Implementing storage solutions (Storage Spaces Direct, ReFS).
- Implementing Hyper-V virtualization.
- Implementing Windows containers.
- Implementing high availability (Failover Clustering).
- Implementing Domain name System (DNS).
- Implementing IP Address Management (IPAM).
- Implementing network connectivity and remote access solutions (RRAS).
- Implementing an advanced network infrastructure (Network Virtualization).
- Installing and configuring Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS).
- Implementing identity federation and access solutions (ADFS).
Exam information and syllabus can be found on the official Microsoft Certification site exam here: 70-743: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA: Windows Server 2016.
Do not take the exam lightly at all!
Overall, I spent couple of weeks preparing for the exam. I was early tester for Windows Server 2016 since Technical Preview 1 came out back on October 1st, 2014. In addition to performing my daily work and going through all of the materials listed above. Having said that, I took around 2 hours to finish the exam, and did my best.
Lessons learned and preparation
Practice, practice and practice… I cannot stress enough that hands-on experience will help you pass the upgrading skills exam.
I am sure that it is much easier to pass the exam if you have worked with the new release of Windows Server 2016. Download the evaluation versions of Windows Server 2016 RTM and start testing the new features.
You can also pre-order the Exam Ref 70-743 Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA: Windows Server 2016 which will be released next month on 23/12/2016.
This book prepare you for Microsoft Exam 70-743—and demonstrate that your skills are upgraded for Windows Server 2016. Designed for experienced IT pros ready to advance their status, this Exam Ref focuses on the critical-thinking and decision-making acumen needed for success at the MCSA level.
Good source to read as well is the free book Introducing Windows Server 2016.
Discover the new Microsoft certifications
On 21st September, Microsoft announced Streamlining its Technical Certification pathways as shown in the following diagram.
Alongside the launch of eight certifications and the retirement of thirteen, there were big shifts which will affect how you earn and recertify Microsoft certifications.
Please note that you may also have already earned a new certification. In my case, I earned the MCSA: Cloud Platform – demonstrate your expertise with Microsoft cloud-related technologies.
And the MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure – prove your expertise in bringing the benefits of cloud technologies to your business – including Azure and Windows Server 2016.
If you are going to take this exam I wish you good luck.