There are a series of apps that you may be utilizing for your workspace. These have the benefit of increasing productivity by providing you with additional means of organization, as well as features that you can make use of.
One such example is the dial-pad on Microsoft Teams that can allow you to go ahead and make phone calls easily through the app itself rather than a separate service.
This article will go over how to enable dial pad in Microsoft Teams.
In This Article
Why use the dial pad for Microsoft Teams?
The dial pad in Microsoft Teams is a feature that allows users to make phone calls directly from the Teams app. This feature can be useful for individuals who need to make calls as part of their job, or for teams that need to collaborate on phone calls.
With the dial pad, you can enter a phone number and initiate a call directly from Teams, without having to switch to a separate phone application. Additionally, you can also use the dial pad to initiate a call with a contact from your Teams contacts list or to call a number that has been shared in a chat or channel conversation.
The dial pad in Teams is fully integrated with the rest of the app, so you can easily switch between a call and other Teams features such as chat or screen sharing. This can help streamline communication and make it easier for teams to work together effectively.
How to Enable Dial Pad in Microsoft Teams?
To enable the dial pad in Microsoft Teams, you can follow these steps:
1) Open Microsoft Teams and click on the Calls icon located in the bottom left corner of the app.
2) In the Calls tab, click on the Dial pad icon. This will open the dial pad in Teams.
3) If you have a headset or microphone connected to your device, you can start making calls using the dial pad immediately. You can also adjust your microphone and speaker settings by clicking on the Device Settings icon located in the top right corner of the dial pad.
4) To make a call, simply enter the phone number you want to call using the dial pad, and then click on the Call button.
5) During a call, you can use the dial pad to enter numbers and access call functions such as mute, hold and transfer. You can also access these functions by clicking on the More options icon located in the top right corner of the dial pad.
6) When you’re finished with your call, click on the Leave button to hang up.
Note: To use the dial pad in Microsoft Teams, you may need to have a phone system or a Calling Plan set up by your organization, so you can enable users to access Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) functionality. If you’re not sure if this feature is available to you, please check with your IT administrator.
How to troubleshoot the dial pad in Microsoft Teams?
If the dial pad in Microsoft Teams is not working, there could be several reasons for this. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:
1) Ensure that your device is connected to a stable internet connection and that your network settings are configured correctly. You may also want to restart your device to see if this resolves the issue.
2) Make sure that the correct microphone and speaker are selected in Teams and that they are functioning properly. You can check this by clicking on the Device Settings icon in the dial pad and selecting the appropriate device.
3) Ensure that the dial pad is enabled in your Teams settings. To check this, click on your profile picture in the top right corner of Teams, then click on Settings, and then click on Calls. Make sure that the option to “Show the dial pad during calls” is turned on.
4) If the dial pad is not working in a channel or group chat, try using it in a private chat to see if this resolves the issue.
Besides going through the troubleshooting steps mentioned above, it’s also suggested to go through the following Microsoft document (Dial pad configuration) and make sure all the other criteria are met. Please note that after you made any configurations, you may need to wait for up to 24 hours and restart the Teams client to see the dial pad.
In case the dial pad still doesn’t show up, please run the following PowerShell command and see if there’s any error in the output:
$username = "UserPrincipalName@domain.com"
Get-CsOnlineUser -Identity $username | Select McoValidationError
The MCOValidationError is an XML property where Teams will store any error messages about enabling a user for Teams due to policy, licensing, or Azure AD Sync issues, if it’s blank, then it’s all good and you don’t need to worry about it.
You can also run the diagnostic tool directly in the Microsoft 365 admin center via https://aka.ms/TeamsDialPadMissingDiag which may help verify possible issues that affect the dial pad.
If the above steps don’t resolve the issue, you may need to open a Microsoft support case for further assistance. They can help you troubleshoot any technical problems and provide additional guidance.
Frequently Asked Questions about dial pad on Microsoft Teams
The following are a series of common questions that often turn up when someone is going to utilize the dial pad on Microsoft teams for the first time.
Can I make calls to landlines and mobile phones with the dial pad in Teams?
Yes, you can make calls to landlines and mobile phones using the dial pad in Microsoft Teams.
You simply need to enter the phone number you want to call in the dial pad and click the Call button. The call will then be initiated through Teams.
Can I use the dial pad to make calls internationally?
Yes, you can use the dial pad in Microsoft Teams to make international calls, subject to the availability and pricing of your organization’s Calling Plan.
To make an international call, you simply need to enter the international phone number you want to call in the dial pad, just as you would with a regular phone call.
Keep in mind that international call charges may apply, so it’s a good idea to check with your IT/Teams administrator or your Calling Plan provider to confirm any associated costs.
Can I use the dial pad while in a meeting or video call in Teams?
Yes, you can use the dial pad in Microsoft Teams while in a meeting or video call.
You can switch between the call and the meeting or video call as needed, making it easy to manage multiple calls at the same time. This can be particularly useful if you need to make a quick call or transfer a call to someone else while in a meeting.
See Also: What Can My Employer See On Microsoft Teams?
Wrapping up, the dial pad in Microsoft Teams can make work calls a lot quicker and easier to make.
As long as you have the proper payment plan set up and follow our troubleshooting tips in case of any issues, you should be all set to start!
Learn More: Microsoft Teams Breakout Rooms – The Great Features.
Thank you for reading my blog.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment.