NOTE: This exam will be refreshed with updated content and will be available on May 28, 2020.
Contents of this Article
After passing the Microsoft Azure Solutions Experts exam as well as the Azure Developer Associate exam, and the Microsoft Azure Administrator Certification. I decided to sit for the Microsoft Azure Fundamentals exam. It sounds tedious to pass a fundamental exam, but as techie people, we usually work on complex projects, we design and architect large deployments but sometimes we missed some of the fundamental concepts. For this reason, I decided to refresh my fundamental concepts that I learned over the years because cloud it’s about continuous re-learning. This will also help when discussing with non-technical customers such as people with business decision makers and top management roles.
As you may have heard that Microsoft is evolving their learning programs to help you and your career keep pace with today’s demanding IT environments. At Ignite in September 2018, Microsoft announced new role-based certifications to help you and your career keep pace with today’s business requirements. They are evolving their learning program to better offer what you need to skill up, prove your expertise to employers and peers, and get the recognition—and opportunities—you’ve earned. On December 31, 2018, Microsoft announced the new AZ-900: Azure Fundamentals exam.
I am so happy and grateful now that I passed the AZ-900 Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Certification exam. I figured that I would share my experience in this blog to help you prepare and tackle this exam successfully.
In this exam, I got something around 48 questions, and the total time for this exam is only 60 minutes. You have around 1.2 minutes per question to answer, otherwise, you will run out of time so be careful!!! The questions do pretty much match the list of skills measured below.
Exam Target Audience
This exam can be taken as an optional first step in learning about cloud services and how those concepts are exemplified by Microsoft Azure. It can be taken as a precursor to Microsoft Azure or Microsoft cloud services exams. While it would be a beneficial first step, validating foundational level knowledge, taking this exam is not a prerequisite for any other Azure-based certifications.
This exam is designed for candidates looking to demonstrate foundational level knowledge of cloud services and how those services are provided with Microsoft Azure. The exam is intended for candidates with non-technical backgrounds, such as those involved in selling or purchasing cloud-based solutions and services or who have some involvement with cloud-based solutions and services, as well as those with a technical background who have a need to validate their foundational-level knowledge around cloud services. Technical IT experience is not required; however, some general IT knowledge or experience would be beneficial.
Skills measured on this exam
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical topics listed below based on the latest update from Microsoft:
Understand Cloud Concepts (15-20%)
- Understand Cloud Services
- Understand Key Terms
- Understand Cloud Models
- Understand Economies of Scale
- Understand Cloud Service
Understand Core Azure Services (30-35%)
- Understand core Azure architectural components
- Understand core Azure services and products
- Understand Azure solutions
- Understand Azure management tools
Understand Security, Privacy, Compliance, and Trust (25-30%)
- Understand how to secure network connectivity.
- Understand core Azure identity services.
- Understand security tools and features.
- Understand Azure governance methodologies.
- Understand monitoring and reporting in Azure.
- Understand privacy, compliance, and data protection standards in Azure.
Understand Azure Pricing and Support (25-30%)
- Subscriptions and Management groups
- Plan and manage Azure costs
- Identify Azure support options
- Understand Azure Service Level Agreements
- Understand the service lifecycle in Azure
Lessons Learned and Exam Preparation
The key success to pass this exam is to work with Microsoft Azure on regular basis. You can create your free Azure account today and start practicing the new features.
- Cloud Concepts – Principles of cloud computing
- Create an Azure account
- Core Cloud Services – Introduction to Azure
- Core Cloud Services – Azure architecture and service guarantees
- Core Cloud Services – Manage services with the Azure Portal
- Core Cloud Services – Azure compute options
- Core Cloud Services – Azure data storage options
- Core Cloud Services – Azure networking options
- Security, responsibility, and trust in Azure
- Apply and monitor infrastructure standards with Azure Policy
- Control and organize Azure resources with Azure Resource Manager
- Predict costs and optimize spending for Azure
You can also go through the following presentation which can help you to build your foundational knowledge of cloud services.
At the time of this writingI If you prefer a book to prepare, Microsoft has released an Exam Reference book (1st Edition) which was released in June 2019, you can place the order now here.
You can go through the following free Azure Fundamentals course from Microsoft to get prepared for this exam:
Last but not least, you can practice and test your knowledge before the actual exam by taking the online Microsoft Official Practice Test powered by MeasureUp.
If you are planning to take this exam… I wish you all the best and Happy Studying!!!
Thank you for reading my blog.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment.