DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we receive a commission when you click the links and make a purchase. Thank you for your support!
Updated – 25/07/2023 – The exam study guide below includes a new Free practice assessment for the AI-900 certification.
Updated – 25/07/2023 – The exam guide below shows the changes to be implemented starting on August 4, 2023. The study guide has been updated to reflect the new objectives and exam topic weights added and removed by Microsoft Learning.
In this article, we will share with you how to prepare and pass the AI-900 exam, Azure AI Fundamentals Certification successfully.
In This Article
As everyone is exploring Artificial Intelligence and looking to increase their skills, I thought I would try and lend a hand and create a study guide for the AI-900 exam that gets you the Azure AI Fundamentals certification.
Microsoft is keeping evolving its e-learning programs to help you and your career keep pace with today’s demanding IT environments. The new updated role-based certifications will help you to keep pace with today’s business requirements. Microsoft Learning is constantly evolving its e-learning program to better offer what you need to skill up, prove your expertise to employers and peers, and get the recognition—and opportunities you’ve earned.
In June 2020, Microsoft announced a new fundamentals certification that focuses on Azure AI solutions. The Exam AI-900 is the only exam required to earn an Azure AI Fundamentals certification.
The AI-900 Exam, unlike the well-known AZ-900 Azure Fundamentals or DP-900 Azure Data Fundamentals, presents an advantage in terms of availability. Due to its lower popularity, there are more testing slots available, allowing you to schedule the exam with greater flexibility.
Obtaining your Azure AI Fundamentals certification sets you apart from other entry-level candidates. Among all three Azure fundamentals exams, AI-900 is regarded as more challenging than AZ-900.
Exam Target Audience
The Azure AI Fundamentals course is designed for anyone interested in learning about the types of solutions AI makes possible and the services on Microsoft Azure that are used to create them.
You don’t need to have any experience with Microsoft Azure before taking this course; however, a basic level of familiarity with computer technology, cloud computing, and the Internet is assumed. Some of the concepts covered in the course require a basic understanding of mathematics, such as the ability to interpret charts. The course includes hands-on activities that involve working with data and running Python, so knowledge of fundamental programming principles will be helpful.
AI-900 Exam Preparation
How do you prepare for the AI-900 exam?
I would like to share with you how to prepare and pass the AI-900: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals exam successfully to obtain the Azure AI Fundamentals certification.
If you are planning to take the AI-900 exam, don’t stress out! It’s very easy. You need to learn the basics of AI thoroughly, and what classification regression and clustering are. You will see at least 5-6 questions based on that.
Next, make sure you’re thorough with the 6 principles of AI. You will see 3 to 4 questions on the cognitive services of Azure. Learn all the services related to Azure ML properly and you’ll pass this exam with ease!
Skills measured on the AI-900 exam
This exam measures your ability to accomplish the technical topics listed below based on the latest update from Microsoft.
Links to relevant reading from the official Microsoft Learn documentation for each skill tested are listed below to help you prepare for this exam:
Describe Artificial Intelligence workloads and considerations (20–25%)
Identify features of common AI workloads
- Identify features of anomaly detection workloads
- Identify computer vision workloads
- Identify natural language processing workloads
- Identify knowledge mining workloads
Identify guiding principles for responsible AI
- Describe considerations for fairness in an AI solution
- Describe considerations for reliability and safety in an AI solution
- Describe considerations for privacy and security in an AI solution
- Describe considerations for inclusiveness in an AI solution
- Describe considerations for transparency in an AI solution
- Describe considerations for accountability in an AI solution
- Azure Machine Learning – Learn how to use Azure Machine Learning to train and deploy models, as well as manage the ML lifecycle (MLOps). Tutorials, code samples, API references, and more are available.
- Computer Vision – Developers can use complex image processing and information retrieval algorithms using the cloud-based Computer Vision API. Microsoft Computer Vision algorithms can interpret images depending on human inputs and image URLs. Quickstarts, tutorials, and examples teach visual content analysis.
- Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals: Get started with artificial intelligence (2 modules)
- Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals: Explore knowledge mining (1 module)
- Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals: Explore decision support (1 module)
Describe fundamental principles of machine learning on Azure (25–30%)
Identify common machine learning types
- Identify regression machine learning scenarios
- Identify classification machine learning scenarios
- Identify clustering machine learning scenarios
Describe core machine learning concepts
- Identify features and labels in a dataset for machine learning
- Describe how training and validation datasets are used in machine learning
Describe the capabilities of visual tools in Azure Machine Learning Studio
- Automated machine learning
- Azure Machine Learning designer
- Language Understanding (LUIS) – Learn how Language Understanding makes it possible for your applications to understand what a person wants in their own terms.
Describe features of computer vision workloads on Azure (15–20%)
Identify common types of the computer vision solution
- Identify features of image classification solutions
- Identify features of object detection solutions
- Identify features of optical character recognition solutions
- Identify features of facial detection and facial analysis solutions
Identify Azure tools and services for computer vision tasks
- Identify capabilities of the Computer Vision service
- Identify capabilities of the Custom Vision service
- Identify capabilities of the Face service
- Identify capabilities of the Form Recognizer service
- Anomaly Detector API – Learn how to use the Anomaly Detector univariate and multivariate APIs to monitor data over time and discover anomalies using machine learning. Gain insight into your data, no matter the volume, industry, or scenario.
Describe features of Natural Language Processing (NLP) workloads on Azure (25–30%)
Identify features of common NLP Workload Scenarios
- Identify features and uses for keyphrase extraction
- Identify features and uses for entity recognition
- Identify features and uses for sentiment analysis
- Identify features and uses for language modeling
- Identify features and uses for speech recognition and synthesis
- Identify features and uses for translation
Identify Azure tools and services for NLP workloads
- Identify the capabilities of the Language service
- Identify the capabilities of the Speech service
- Identify the capabilities of the Translator service
Identify considerations for conversational AI solutions on Azure
- Identify features and uses for bots
- Identify capabilities of Power Virtual Agents and the Azure Bot Service
- Natural language processing technology (NLP) – Learn about sentiment analysis, topic detection, language detection, key phrase extraction, and document categorization.
- Speech Translation – Learn the advantages and possibilities of the voice translation service, which provides real-time, multi-language speech-to-speech and speech-to-text translation of audio streams.
- Speech-to-text – Real-time and batch transcription of audio streams into text, commonly known as speech recognition. It also allows for real-time pronunciation testing and provides feedback on the accuracy and fluency of spoken audio with extra reference text input.
- Azure Bot Service – There are several approaches to developing and deploying a chatbot. Learn how the Azure Bot Service delivers an integrated environment designed specifically for bot creation.
If you are interested to prepare for this exam using books, then I highly recommend checking the following resources:
> Microsoft Press: Exam Ref AI-900 Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals by Julian Sharp.
This reference book helps you prepare for Microsoft Exam AI-900 and help demonstrate your real-world knowledge of diverse machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) workloads, and how they can be implemented with Azure AI.
If you are interested to prepare for this exam using video training, then I highly recommend checking the following resources:
> Pluralsight: AI-900: Microsoft Certified Azure AI Fundamentals.
> Microsoft Press: I highly recommend checking the official AI-900 full exam course by Microsoft Press.
This Exam AI-900 Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals video is designed to prepare you to become an AI professional and ace the Microsoft Exam AI-900 exam, which covers everything from the fundamentals of AI to practical applications using Azure AI services.
This video focuses on the skills measured by the exam objectives:
- Comprehend Artificial Intelligence workloads and considerations.
- Understand fundamental principles of machine learning on Azure.
- Work with all features of computer vision workloads on Azure.
- Experiment with features of Natural Language Processing (NLP) workloads on Azure.
> YouTube: AI-900 – Azure AI Fundamentals Study Guide by John Savill.
AI-900 Training Labs
These hands-on lab exercises support the official Microsoft course AI-900 Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals and the equivalent self-paced modules on Microsoft Learn. The exercises are designed to accompany the learning materials and enable you to practice using the technologies they describe.
To complete these exercises, please note that you’ll require a Microsoft Azure subscription. You can sign up for a free trial at https://azure.microsoft.com.
- AI 01: Explore Cognitive Services
- AI 02: Explore Automated Machine Learning in Azure ML
- AI 03: Explore regression with Azure Machine Learning Designer
- AI 04: Explore classification with Azure Machine Learning Designer
- AI 05: Explore clustering with Azure Machine Learning Designer
- AI 06: Explore Computer Vision
- AI 07: Explore image classification
- AI 08: Explore object detection
- AI 09: Explore face recognition
- AI 10: Explore optical character recognition
- AI 11: Explore form recognition
- AI 12: Explore text analytics
- AI 13: Explore speech
- AI 14: Explore translation
- AI 15: Explore language understanding
AI-900 Practice Test
If you wish to validate your skills before taking the real exam, I highly encourage you to purchase the following practice test:
AI-900: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals Certification Official Practice Test. The MeasureUp AI-900: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals Certification practice test from mind hub is designed to help you prepare for and pass the Microsoft AI-900 exam.
This exam is aimed at candidates with both technical and non-technical backgrounds who want to validate their AI skills. You should have knowledge of machine learning (ML) and AI workloads and how to implement them on Azure. Data science and software engineering experience is not required. However, a foundational knowledge of cloud basics and client-server applications would be beneficial.
The AI-900 test contains 140 questions and covers the following objectives:
- Describe Artificial Intelligence workloads and considerations – 29 questions.
- Describe fundamental principles of machine learning on Azure – 38 questions.
- Describe features of computer vision workloads on Azure – 29 questions.
- Describe features of Natural Language Processing (NLP) workloads on Azure – 44 questions.
AI-900 Free Practice Assessment
Are you preparing for the AI-900 certification exam? Microsoft just announced Practice Assessments on Microsoft Learn, the newest free exam preparation resource that allows you to assess your knowledge and fill knowledge gaps so that you are better prepared the take the AI-900 certification exam.
The following assessment provides you with an overview of the style, wording, and difficulty of the questions you’re likely to experience on the exam. Through this assessment, you’re able to assess your readiness, determine where additional preparation is needed, and fill knowledge gaps bringing you one step closer to the likelihood of passing your AI-900 exam.
> Take now the Exam AI-900: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals Practice Assessment (50 questions).
Prepare for your certification exam by assessing your knowledge through Practice Assessments, which are free and can be attempted multiple times. These assessments are created and regularly updated by the same team that develops the official certification exams.
You can access practice assessments on Microsoft Learn by signing in or creating an account. The score report for each question includes the answer, rationale, and links to additional information.
Instructor-led AI-900T00 Course
Last but certainly not least, if you prefer instructor-led training, Microsoft released the AI-900T00 1-day course. This course provides a comprehensive understanding of AI fundamentals and explores the Microsoft Azure services tailored for AI solutions. It is designed to familiarize participants with prevalent AI workloads and the corresponding Azure services, catering not only to data scientists and software engineers but also to a broader audience.
The course seamlessly combines instructor-led teaching with supplementary Microsoft Learn online materials. Moreover, the hands-on exercises in the course are based on Learn modules, and students are encouraged to utilize Learn as a reference to reinforce their understanding and delve deeper into the subjects covered.
Schedule AI-900 Exam
Once you are ready, click Schedule exam here and take it online from the comfort of your home/office with proctor supervision.
If you are planning to take the AI-900 exam… I wish you all the best and Happy Studying!!!
AI-900 Exam FAQs
What are the prerequisites for the AI-900 exam?
The AI-900 exam does not have any specific prerequisites, making it an ideal starting point for anyone interested in AI and Azure.
What is the price for the AI-900 exam?
The initial price is $99 USD. The price is based on the country or region in which the exam is proctored.
How many questions are there in the AI-900 exam, and what’s the passing score?
The AI-900 exam typically consists of around 40-60 questions, and candidates need a score of 700 or higher (on a scale of 1000) to pass.
Are there any official study materials available for the AI-900 exam?
Yes, as we shared in this article, Microsoft offers official study materials, including instructor-led training, online courses, and practice exams.
Can I retake the AI-900 exam if I don’t pass on the first attempt?
Yes, you can retake the exam after a 24-hour waiting period. However, it is recommended to prepare thoroughly before attempting the exam again.
Is the AI-900 certification valid for a lifetime?
Yes, the AI-900 is a fundamental certification and never expires. There is no renewal date. This is a great thing when applying for jobs because you would always be known as an Azure AI-certified professional.
Congratulations! You’ve now explored the comprehensive AI-900 Exam Study Guide for Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals. With a solid understanding of AI concepts, Azure services, and real-world applications, you’re ready to embark on a journey into the fascinating world of artificial intelligence.
Remember, continuous learning and hands-on practice will be the key to success in this dynamic field. With AI dominating the news cycle, this is all the more reason to pass your AI-900 exam.
Other Microsoft Azure Exam Study Guides
Are you interested in another Azure certification exam? I highly encourage you to check out the following Azure exam study guides:
- Exam AI-102: Microsoft Azure AI Engineer Associate Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-900: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-104: Microsoft Azure Administrator Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-140: Microsoft Azure Virtual Desktop Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-204: Developing Solutions for Microsoft Azure Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-305: Designing Microsoft Azure Infrastructure Solutions Study Guide
- Exam AZ-500: Microsoft Azure Security Technologies Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-700: Microsoft Azure Network Engineer Associate Study Guide
- Exam SC-900: Microsoft Security, Compliance, and Identity Fundamentals Exam Study Guide
- Exam SC-200: Microsoft Security Operations Analyst Exam Study Guide
- Exam SC-300: Microsoft Identity and Access Administrator Exam Study Guide
- Exam SC-400: Microsoft Information Protection Administrator Exam Study Guide
- Exam SC-100: Microsoft Cybersecurity Architect Exam Study Guide
- Exam AZ-800: Administering Windows Server Hybrid Core Infrastructure Study Guide
- Exam AZ-801: Configuring Windows Server Hybrid Advanced Services Study Guide
Thank you for reading my blog.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment.